Re: 'miniature selloum' (by Chumley)

  • Subject: Re: 'miniature selloum' (by Chumley)
  • From: robert chumley <chumleyrobert@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 02:44:27 +0000

Yes Brian, I remember your visits very well about 20 years ago. The plant you and I remember could have been 'Lasia' spinosa...having thick stem with long, spiny leafstalk and  variable, motte, green leaf with spines beneath, arrowshape, later with laterol lobes, recurved.  I had just returned from plant gathering trips to Panama, Costa Rica, and Honduras. I remember selling (wild collected) unknown plants that year to Glasshouse Works in Ohio. One was a undescribed(very tiny) Hamalomena with a red  velvet leaf back, so it might have went there also. I remembered remarking that it looked like a philodendron with spines during your visit....................Secondly, you mentioned seeing a "drooping leaf selloum" similar to mine in other collections.  If you read my posts on tropicshere.com.........you may get the  origin of the plant and the complete history dating back to the first half of the twentieth century............Robert Chumley

Aroid-L mailing list