Re: Dracontium amazonense variagated

  • Subject: Re: Dracontium amazonense variagated
  • From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy@zoominternet.net>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 06:38:41 -0400

Yes, it is fairly common for this species as well as polyphyllum to have variegated leaves.  There are other speices with variegated leaves as well, but I'm draewing a blank on them right now.....I got a tuber of one from a person in Germany that never emerged from dormancy that was to be variegated.  What I find odd is that every time a new leaf emerges is the variegation can vary wildy from a lot to none at all.....do the experts have any thoughts on that phenomena?
I've attached a pic of my variegated D. amazoense.
This is my favorite genus of aroids, but they can be tough here in zone 6 without a GH.....I've had several now for 5-6 years and find a few species to be quite manageable even for me.
Good growing,
Gibsonia, PA