Amo atroviridis?

  • Subject: Amo atroviridis?
  • From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973@wp.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 23:34:57 +0200

I sent to you all photos in high resolution but the message returned to me because it exceeded the limit of your mailbox.
If you want any of them larger, write to me.

Hi Wilbert,

Yes, this is the same plant. I bought one tuber in 2006 (it was pink because
it was treated with a fungicide by the seller), in 2007 it grew in my
garden, it bloomed but it didn't put any leaf. The inflorescence was 28 cm
tall with the peduncle, while the peduncle was about 12 cm. The spathe at
the beginning was pinkish, then it turned white.

In 2008 it also grew in the garden in full Sun, with a typical Polish summer
(very hot and dry - it had to be watered everyday, but it still was not
enough), the leaf was divided into about 20 leaflets on a very dark and
short petiole.

After the season the tuber split, the lower part fell off, first I thought
it was dead but it had small white buds, so I left it.

In 2009 it stayed at home, both tubers produced leaves (one leaf from one
tuber). The leaf grown from the large tuber is 51 cm tall, 29 cm wide and
the petiole is 38 cm. It is divided into 10 lobes, the upper surface is dark
green and velvety, the lower is brown with greyish tint. There are many
veins and every second one is thicker. The petiole is smooth, brown with a
few white spots.

All my tuberous plants grown at home were always larger than in the garden.
For example Am. konjac from similar size tubers grew 2x larger at home.

Maybe you know why do my Amorphophalli and other tropical tuberous aroids
wake up so late (most of them in June or August), only Taccarum weddellianum
and Am albus wake up earlier (May, July), and Am. haematospadix is still
dormant, the same with Typhonium kunmingense, I checked the tubers a few
days ago, they are alive, but not hurrying to grow. During dormancy I store
the tubers in the bathroom (the warmest and the most humid place at home).
They are in pots with soil and sometimes I pour a little water in summer,
but it doesn't help, they still are asleep. Storing tubers there I already
lost 2 rare plants: Pycnospatha arietina and an unidentified Anchomanes sp.

I append all photos I found of this atroviridis, even the unsuccessful ones.
Every photo with a date.
If you need more details please tell me till the plant has leaves.

Marek

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@xs4all.nl>