Re: Aquatic Aroids snails

  • Subject: Re: Aquatic Aroids snails
  • From: REDRAGON40@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:23:02 EDT

Hi Marek:
Snails only eat certain types of algae, and some of them eat the plants, so you have to be careful what you get  There is a catfish called the bristlenose cat (Ancistrus species)  I would recommend a couple of those.  They only grow to about 4 inches max and do not bother any plants. The only plants they eat are parts that are already dead or dying.  They are totally safe around other fish.  Not only that, if you want to get rid of them after your algae problems are gone, they are very easy to find homes for as they are popular with aquarists.  Just contact an aquarium club or offer them to an aquarium shop.  Contact me off list and I can give you a lot more info about snails and catfish.  (My adult daughter is a snail collector and can tell you just about anything you want to know)
Carol Ross, Bucks County Aquaium Society  < ' )))><
P.S.  I subscribe to a botany site.  Here is a link to a plant that was featured the other day.