Aquatic aroids

Thanks Carol.  I've grown them in a pond when we lived in Miami and indeed they do climb right out of the water.  I'll do some serious checking before I commit to any particular plant so thanks for the advice.

Right now I have a total of 550 watts of compact lighting ready to hang over the tank.  I've grown living coral aquariums since 1990 and have had as much as 1200 watts of metal halide and other sources of hi-intensity light on a single aquarium  I've seen far too many plants die as a result of poor illumination.  If you check some of the better coral reef aquarium books published by Microcosum you'll find quite a few of my photos.

Steve
www.ExoticRainforest.com

REDRAGON40@aol.com wrote:
Steve:
You may want to check carefully which Amazon swordplant you get. It depends on whether you want it to grow out of the water and how big you want it to get.  The final size is important to know ahead of time because swordplant (Echinodorus spp.) roots are invasive to say the least, and removing it later might be problematic.  I had one that I put in a tub outdoors that was almost two feet deep and the swordplant put out emersed growth two feet above that.  They are heavy iron feeders and grow like crazy in conditions they like.  Swordplants actually prefer to grow emersed and one of the appropriate size would be magnificent.  There are also varieties with different amounts of reddish coloring which could possibly harmonize with your  aroids better than the bright brittle green of some of the ones most commonly seen in the pet shops.  You might also consider some of the really small types as companions to the other plants you have at the "rivers edge"

Carol Ross, Bucks County Aquarium Society   < ' )))><