Anthurium boosii Croat presentation

  • Subject: Anthurium boosii Croat presentation
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 23:51:44 -0500

When I first joined the International Aroid Society there was always this "voice" on Aroid l.  Something told me it was a "booming" voice but I wouldn't hear it ring for several years.

That west Indian "voice" belongs to Julius Boos whom some of us now jokingly call "Uncle Crazy".  You simply have to hang out with Julius for a day or two to understand why he has gained that  handle but I promise, it isn't because he is nuts!.  Julius is from the island of Trinidad and has done some of the craziest things you can imagine in his life.  Many of us have been privileged to read of his outlandish adventures while wishing we were right there with him.  He's worked with botanists to grant names to new plant species, he's traveled to exotic destinations, he's worked in the oil fields of South America, he's written scientific articles and  he's eaten more aroids than any living human!  Julius is also one of the most kind and brilliant people I've ever had the privilege to know.  I don't think he'll scold me for telling this story but Julius was taken out of school when he was very young.  I've never been able to understand why but someone thought this man with an IQ that may well defy being measured couldn't cope in school.  Believe me, Uncle Crazy should have been the Superintendent of Schools for the entire Caribbean!

Julius has since become one of my most respected friends and someone I turn to all the time for aroid information and advice on virtually any plant question.  I'm far from the only one on this forum that feels that way.  The depth of Julius' knowledge is immense and his incredible intellect on many scientific subjects quickly astounds anyone that "sits at his feet" to learn.

Lots of people on this forum feel the same way as do I and if you haven't had the opportunity to meet Ju-Bo then you must make plans to attend the IAS Show and Sale next year in Miami.  You won't be disappointed.

It was a great honor for those of us that were privileged to be at the annual IAS dinner one week ago Saturday night to watch Dr. Croat present Julius with an award declaring a new Anthurium species will be published to science.  That species will be known to the world of botanical science as Anthurium boosii Croat and I'll be beating down doors to find a specimen to grow in my personal collection.

With the help of Ted Held I attempted to photograph the award given to Julius  earlier in the day on Saturday afternoon but a variety of photographic problems made the images far less than I wanted to present here.  If you've ever tried to photograph anything under glass you'll understand.  Fortunately Tom had sent the photographs that would be a part of the presentation a few days earlier so I've managed to literally "cut and paste" an approximation of Julius' award together.

Janice and I plan to be at the Missouri Botanical Garden in early December and I plan to photograph the specimen of Anthurium boosii that is in the MOBOT collection in detail. Shortly after that I'll be adding a very special page to the ER website to honor our mutual friend.  I'll make all of you aware when the page goes on-line so all of you can see more detail of this beautiful Anthurium species that now honors Julius' work.

Please forgive me if the jpeg you are receiving attached to this note is huge!  I purposely left it large since I wanted each and everyone to be able to see it in the actual size and read the text.

Julius, I know Leland considers you a kindred spirit and you are as close to a brother as I've ever known.  You are without any doubt one of the most loved people in the IAS.

We all want you to know how much you are respected for your friendship and service to the IAS.  Your knowledge of and adoration for the plant species we all love to grow makes you a very special friend.  Thanks for all the advice and guidance you have given to us all.
You deserve a plant from every genera of Araceae named in your honor!  I know for certain many others are repeating almost every word I've just written to themselves.  You are a dear friend to each of us and even though you know I can't stand I'm now "on my feet" with a raised glass!!  Thanks Julius.

JPEG image

fn:Steve  Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list