Aquatic aroids

Carol I have had really good luck with certain Echinodorus swordplants (these are not aroids) and they are among my favorites for ripariums. I have
grown several in my 65-gallon tank. Here is a recent picture of that setup:

http://hydrophytesblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/26-ix-09-tank-montage-i-m.jpg

The next one is a picture of the large Echinodorus palaefolius that I grew in the tank for a while. I eventually had to take it out because it grew too
large for the enclosure:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3546/3495974514_7c89e55699_o.jpg

Here is a pictures of the E. palaefolius bloom:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3587/3481313815_646cf7db20_o.jpg

To the left of the next photo is an Echinodorus 'Ozelot'. With purple-mottle variegation this plant is very attractive, but it is problematic in that the
foliage often switches to the underwater form (soft, and with short petioles) even though it is kept above water:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3381/3550841042_65e5dd00de_o.jpg

The best sword that I have found so far is Echinodorus cordifolius. This one is a common aquarium and garden pond plant. It will eventually grow ver
large, but my largest riparium specimen is still a manageable size after many months. I pulled it out of the tank one day for a photo op:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2482/3550133307_b90e40655a_o.jpg

And here's the bloom of that E. cordifolius

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3399/3509806626_572422ebb6_o.jpg

Cheers,

Devin