Hi guys

  • Subject: Hi guys
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 18:46:56 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Jude,

If you are going to make the trip all the way from Massachusetts to Miami, consider looping by Sarasota and seeing the Marie Selby Gardens. Google their website.  Curator Harry Luther has left, but they still have a wonderful collection of plants.  I was impressed.  If it is possible for you to see the non-public research greenhouses, they should not be missed. The Harry Leu Gardens of Orlando has a good collection of Philodendron of the subgenus Meconostigma, basically the self heading types.  Leu Gardens has a website as well.  If Eric Schimdt is about, seek his assistance.  Just driving through the Everglade edges is also interesting.

As soon as you get to the IAS show, locate someone that looks like they are in charge and ask them for assistance on your quests.  Ted Held, Steve Lucas, Scott Hyndman, Albert Huntington, Lester Kallus, Ron Weeks, Enid Offolter, Marie & Steve Nock, Dennis Rotolante, etc., or all of them.  Wave large handfuls of cash around and I'm sure someone will help you.  Study the IAS website photos of members at the past shows, that will clue you in as far as who can help you.

Sorry, I am not into the birthday thing...I am old enough to stop counting already.  Do you have specific aroid interests?

I will not be there, except in spirit.  Good luck and happy collecting.