Re: Your input please? rootbound.

  • Subject: Re: Your input please? rootbound.
  • From: Hannon <othonna@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 22:28:58 -0700

Steve,

Yes, some rainforest plants are rootbound in the wild if they are
lodged in small crevices or holes in limestone, e.g., various
Amorphophallus.

I am a strong advocate of maintaining plants, any plants in pots,
under rootbound conditions for the reasons that others have given here
and more. It boils down to the health of the roots, which is really
the greater part of horticultural method. You will notice that a plant
is at its best when it is well along after repotting, becoming
pot-bound, yet before it is really cramped. This ideal state does not
last more than a year or two in many cases, unfortunately.

The rootbound condition necessitates more frequent and more thorough
watering (a good thing for many aroids) but otherwise should not be a
problem for the grower. Shortly before a plant is simply obnoxious
because it dries and wilts all the time, it should get a bigger pot.

Naturally there are exceptions, such as fast growing plants or aquatic
aroids, that can be "overpotted" with no ill results. If plant health,
time of year and other conditions are ideal then it may be fine to put
a large pot-bound Philodendron in a 6" pot directly into a 5gal tub if
it is a large species.

I would add that the firmness of the container is important too. Roots
seem to need physical resistance, and I have generally had much better
results with very firm, stiff pots (good polstyrene, clay, wooden
boxes, etc.). Any squishy-soft pots are thrown away. As a consequence
of "greater efficiency" in modern injection molding I have lots of
plastic pots 10 years old or more that I value highly.

Particle size of potting media is another consideration, in addition
to others. It is a complex topic that is not often properly addressed.
Best of luck with you article!

Dylan

--
Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial
fire,--- conscience.