Re: Your input please? rootbound.

  • Subject: Re: Your input please? rootbound.
  • From: "John" <criswick@spiceisle.com>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 17:16:57 -0400

Steve it is my experience that repotting ANY plant too soon slows down growth.  So if you’re a commercial grower you can’t afford to make this mistake.

I have always ASSUMED that the reason why plants grow faster in small pots is because oxygen is more available to the roots, whereas in a larger pot the roots suffocate in clogging, wet soil.

So it is a question of recognizing when is the right time to move to a larger pot. It is just before the plant begins to starve for lack of growing medium.

Also a great deal depends on individual conditions, rate of drying out, etc.

I once visited a tropical collection under glass in England where I saw some of the hugest leaves on anthuriums and philodendrons. The secret was that everything was planted in six inches of fibrous growing medium on a concrete floor, with plenty of automatic misting. That heady mixture of water and air makes plants grow like crazy.

Looking forward to reading your article when it’s ready