Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2010 8:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] rootbound/potbound

There are some plants which seem to bloom better when they feel ?stressed?.  Dieing trees often put out a final burst of seed in hopes of passing on their genes.

One personal observation:  After spending the afternoon cleaning out some areas of my garden I can see that just because a plant may be located in ?open ground? so to speak, there is often plenty of competition from the roots of nearby plants.  To what degree this equates with the physiological effects of being planted in a smaller sized container, I can?t really say.  The roots of a plant in a smaller pot will probably warm up faster during the day, which might be of benefit for some.

Regarding the issue of availability of oxygen; wouldn?t whether the plant is in a clay or plastic pot play a role here?  Just some thoughts.

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin