A question primarily for our esteemed experts and botanists!

  • Subject: A question primarily for our esteemed experts and botanists!
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 23:09:09 -0500

Anyone is welcome to chime in on this but I have come up with a small theory I can neither prove nor discredit. Is this possible?

I recently read a short piece about the bark of trees in the rain forest being capable of storing nitrogen. In fact, I have read many times that the trees in the forest suck up the majority of the nutrients created as leaves, other trees, burned trees and animal debris fall to the ground and decompose. If this is so then is it possible that hemiepiphytic and well as epithetic species climb not only to reach brighter light but also in order to leach some quantity of fertilizer (nitrogen) from the trees themselves? Is it possible other mineral can be sucked from the tree by all the roots that grasp the tree's trunk? For those that may not be aware, an epiphyte and hemispheric species are plants that live attached to trees. These types of species are very common in the aroid group.

To me this makes sense but I want to have it scientifically confirmed or denied before I add any of this info to my own published works.

Thanks!

Steve
www.ExoticRainforest.com

begin:vcard