Re: Your input please? rootbound.

  • Subject: Re: Your input please? rootbound.
  • From: Theodore Held <oppenhauser2001@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 10:36:26 -0400

Friends of plants,

Related to this topic, and hinted at by a couple of responses, is
whether or not a given species is averse to wet substrate conditions
or not. One thing I don't know is what types (if any) of aroids can
develop what is called aerenchyma tissue in roots. Aerenchyma consists
of hollow tubes in root tissue that serve to conduct air down to
waterlogged roots so they can breath. Plants that can do this (and I
think it can be something that is induced when necessary rather than
produced in all root tissue) have an obvious advantage.

We might place one set of plants in the category of Susceptible to
Root Rot and another into the category Not Bothered by Root Rot. Are
the ones in the root rot category unable to produce aerenchema?
Whether in the wild or in a greenhouse, sometimes the ground is wet
and sometimes it is dry. For those species that are prone to root rot
one wonders how they deal with a couple of days of rain. If a plant is
prone to root rot, why not suggest to the horticulturist to simply
shift to a looser medium? No real need for a small pot there. And
using a porous pot in place of an impervious plastic one (or a
vitrified clay pot with a beautiful glaze) would seem in order. But we
do seem to see advice toward small pots and not so much toward porous
ones. A mystery.

Aside from aerenchema, there is also the issue of plant nutrition.
Much of this stuff (perhaps the large majority) is absorbed through
the roots. Roots can only extract what's present. In a root-bound
condition, one suspects that available nutrients are depleted sooner
or later - unless fertilizer is added by the grower.

Another factor is space available. For commercial growers smaller pots
mean denser plant growing and more efficient use of the same nursery.
Little pots might be good as long as any adverse results don't show up
- unless maybe after the things are sold.

I like the flowering story, but wonder if there's any scientific
evidence to support it.

Please add comments to these off-hand speculations.

Ted Held.