Re: Your input please? rootbound.

  • Subject: Re: Your input please? rootbound.
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 18:11:39 -0500

For those that don't recognize the name Johannes Moonen, this is my very dear friend Joep Moonen one of the wisest plantsmen and naturalists in South America.  Joep (Yupe), as all us call him, has spent time in my home and I consider he and his wife Marijke very dear.  They were very close to our friend Julius Boos before he passed a few weeks ago and Joep often corresponds with many of us on this forum on a near daily basis.  In my case I can safely say "daily" since we've done that for years!

Joep and Marijke run the Emerald Jungle Village in French Guiana and he is sought out by many scientists for his knowledge of the terrain.   h has discovered many new species and some of the most cherished plants in my own collection bear his name.  There are quite a few plants that now scientifically bear his name including one of the most sought after Philodendron, Philodendron 'Joepii'.   If you see anything with the second name "moonenii", Joep was involved!  If you ever want to visit South America with a great guide drop him a note!  And when Joep speaks I can guarantee my eyes and ears are wide open! If you missed his presentation at our MidAmerica chapter meeting at the Missouri Botanical Garden you missed an incredible show of plants in the rain forest.

Steve
www.ExoticRainforest.com