as you said Heliconius is a genus of beautifull butterflies that merely feed on certain species of Passiflora.

Heliconia is a SA genus of about 200 species of very nice terrestrial plants with beautifull flowers. Some species are grown allover the tropics because of their durable flowers and restistance agains insect appetire.

Cheers,        Joep

On Sep 7, 2010, at 12:28 PM, Zach DuFran wrote:

Another example is the genus Heliconia, which applies to butterflies which feast on Passionflowers (Passiflora), and also applies to the a tropical genus in the Zingerberales order, Heliconiaceae family.  These are the “False Bird of Paradise” or “Lobster claws” plants, which have very colorful inflorescences.

The Heliconia butterfly genus is now being called Heliconius, so that helps a little bit.

Zach

From: aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@www.gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of J. Agoston
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2010 7:44 PM
To: Discussion of aroids
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Dracunculus and Dracunculus

Marek,

Yes animals and plants can have same gereric names, like Pieris brassicae is a butterfly eating brassicas, but Pieris japonica is a plant from Ericaceae as i know.

Jan
2010/9/2 Marek Argent <abri1973@wp.pl>
Hello,

While searching the web for documents I found something that made me scared.
Besides Dracunculus vulgaris and Dracunculus canariense, which we almost all heard about,
I found a document mentioning different species of Dracunculus which are... Nematodes:

Is it admissible for two quite different unrelated taxa to bear the same generic name?

???
Marek

--
Protect the environment! Please think twice before printing this e-mail. || Védjük környezetünket, csak szükség esetén nyomtasd ki ezt a levelet!