Re: How to Set Up a High-humidity Riparium for Crypts and Anubias

  • Subject: Re: How to Set Up a High-humidity Riparium for Crypts and Anubias
  • From: Christopher Rogers <branchiopod@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 08:49:57 -0500

Neat, Devin!

I had a 200 gallon tank a few years ago carpeted with Cryptocorne. It had no filtration, just a very hot, bright, mercury vapor light above. I had been reading about the hot, dry seasons in India and SE Asia, followed by monsoons. I let the tank dry down, exposing the leaves. the hydrophytic leaves started to dry, crack and burn, however new leaves started growing  immediately. I let the tank dry down to just wet sand. After a few weeks the tank was full of inflorescences. Eventually the blooms died back, but the plants were still producing leaves. I refilled the tank and repeated the experiment with similar results about nine months later.

Just some anecdotal info. I am sure Ted Held may have something to add to my story.

Happy days,
Christopher