Re: Aroid-L Digest, Vol 74, Issue 19 re rootbound or not

  • Subject: Re: Aroid-L Digest, Vol 74, Issue 19 re rootbound or not
  • From: CGeat25049@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 13:33:32 EDT

Hello all,
  I am the sort of person who believes in big pots.  I am only a bit more cautious when dealing with xerophytes. In the beginning, I followed the herd and moved the plants up two inches. Now If I have a four , I might move it up to an eight or ten. A ten to a thirteen ( cuz that what I always have on hand),etc .
   If have a plant that seems to have a very vigorous root system, the jumps between sizes may be more extreme. I figure it's time to pot up when I see roots peeking from the bottom or when an inspection shows roots going around the surface of the rootball.
  I do use a very porous mix  as follows
one part loam
one part promix bx
one part play safe mulch ( coarse cedar)
one part pine mulch fines
one part coarse perlite
a handful or two of slow release fertilizer ( using one of those big muck buckets).
 If I'm potting up aroids, I might be inclined to increase the play safe mulch. I used to use orchid bark , but the mulch runs about $3 for two cubit feet.
   I don't know if the plants appreciate the big pot more or the aerated media but i am generally successful in growing plants to specimen size.
 Cherry G
Aroid-L mailing list