My request for writers

To the editors of Aroideana, our Newsletter, the board of governors and all our members:

Sadly, I have just been informed that my request for volunteer writers for Aroideana and our quarterly newsletter have been misconstrued as my someone wishing to take over the jobs of those publication's editors.  I have never had any such intention.  I have volunteered my time to write for both and am now in the process of doing another article at the request of Carla our our newsletter editor.  I am unsure how my name ever became involved with submission of articles to Aroideana but I never have had any intention of that happening.  I did request on several plant forums that if anyone had an idea for any article for either publication please forward it to me and I would see it went to the proper editor.  That was never intended to be a request to allow me to approve the article!  I am looking for volunteers and we have a ton of talent in this organization that in my opinion is being wasted.

Derek, if you were insulted in any way by my request, please accept my personal and sincere apology.  Carla, the same goes to you.  I have one goal for the IAS, to make it grow!  Not one thing else!  I have never tried to make once cent off the IAS and give free advertising to the IAS on many pages on my website.  Most of you don' know, but my little site just achieved its 1.5 millionth hit and lots of folks send me private notes to tell me they just joined.  Since many of the emails addressed to the IAS also come to me personally as the IAS corresponding secretary I make an attempt to answer each and every one and point them to a source that can give them good information.

Those of you that are new members know that I try to write to each of you personally thanking you for joining and pointing out what you can find on the IAS site, our FACEBOOK account and attempt to help form new chapters in your own areas when possible.  As a result, many of us become friends and begin long term correspondence.  Personally, I enjoy that very much but there is not one person that can say I ever offered to sell them a single plant.  I most cases, I just give them away.

There appears to be some that believe I am over stepping my bounds as the IAS secretary.  You should know I discuss all I try to do with quite a few members of the board of governors before acting.  There are projects going on right now that few of your know about that are intended to increase your enjoyment of the IAS as well as increase our membership.

If you find what I try to do for our society offensive, I apologize to you as well.  I just know how many times Derek has asked for submissions without response and I also know how often Carla needs help finding good articles.  Derek needs good submissions so if you have good ideas contact him right now:  derek burch <dburch23@bellsouth.net>

The number one request I receive personally from our members is "why don't we have more horticultural articles in the IAS publications?".  That was the soul goal of my recent post. Nothing else.  I'm looking for folks to contact our editors with ideas, not one thing else.  I edit neither of these publications and I have no desire to try to take over or control the content of either.  So those that somehow believe otherwise, please be assured all I want is to see the IAS grow and give our members what they are asking to see.  Not one other thing.

Once again, my sincere apologies to anyone whose "toes" I my have unintentionally tread upon.

Steve Lucas
 Corresponding Secretary
The IAS

begin:vcard