Re: arisaema candidissimum

  • Subject: Re: arisaema candidissimum
  • From: Zanezirklejr@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:44:42 -0400 (EDT)

We have gotten temps from 7-17* F the last couple of winters, I did have 4 calla lillies to come back which surprised me. I forgot to dig them up.
In a message dated 9/13/2011 3:43:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, samarak@gizmoworks.com writes:
It should be perfectly hardy there - it is here in NW Arkansas, also zone
6b but with occasional lower temperatures.

However, here many of the Asian arisaemas seem to "fail to thrive" and
disappear over the course of several years. They come back each year, but
with less vigor, until some year they don't show up at all. I don't know
for sure whether this is simply me not siting them correctly, or if there
are diseases here that eventually kill them. (We do have the arisaema rust
in the area, for instance, though I've never seen it on any plant in my

I have a couple of tender Asian arisaemas that I grow in pots in the
greenhouse, and by contrast they seem to stay vigorous and increase. (The
only problem with them is they don't ever seem to go dormant, and I owe a
couple of people offsets of them.)

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Zanezirklejr@aol.com wrote:

> I have the pink jack in the pulpit, i've read its hardy in zones 5-9 and
> 6-9, I'd love to plant it in the flower bed but I want to be 100% sure its
> not  going to freeze and die, my zone is 6b (southern west virginia USA), what
> do you  aroiders think?

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-L mailing list