Re: Contractile roots

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, MJ Hatfield wrote:

> Wilbert said "contractile roots. Just have a look at older
> roots at the top of the tuber when you take one out."
> Please enlighten me. I don't know what a contractile root looks like.
> Thanks.

for a photo of emerging roots in a non-contracted state.  Basically, they
are somewhat elastic and their tension holds th tuber in place.  On the
older tubers, just after they go dormant, the same roots have a pleated
appearance, somewhat reminding of accordion bellows.  You can stretch
them (a little only, as they are dead and not functional any more) and
they shrink back.

Krzysztof Kozminski