RE: Contractile roots

Yes, it would indeed grow in the old cavity which is in line with what
Don Bittel said. But there is always that moment when there is less
tuber than cavity at which time the plant needs to be anchored or it
would become unstable. I have seen this in my own collection and it is
known from plants in the wild: if you dig them out when the leaf has
just emerged, you may not find a shred of tuber and the petiole is kept
in place by the horizontal contractile roots and the soil surrounding
the base of it.