Alocasia Elaine and A. Quilted Dreams

     Dear All,

     Alocasia Elaine, I have come to the conclusion, is an especially nice
     form of Alocasia reginae N.E. Brown, which is a rare species known
     botanically from only three collections in Sarawak and Central
     Kalimantan.

     A question: The plant that David Burnett called Alocasia Quilted
     Dreams (Aroideana 7 (1984) fig. 33) and which he said was also known
     as Alocasia Hawaii, is supposed to have come from the Philippines. Can
     anyone verify this??

     The reason why I ask is because Alocasia sinuata N.E. Brown is known
     botanically only from the Type specimen which N.E. Brown made at Kew.
     This plant was obtained from the British nurseryman William Bull last
     century and Bull had said it had come from the Philippines, but he was
     not always accurate/truthful(?!) about the origin of his plants. There
     is no preserved botanical material collected from the wild in the
     Philippines (or anywhere else, that I know of) that matches A. sinuata
     at all, but the photograph in Burnett of Quilted Dreams/Hawaii appears
     to be extremely similar to the Type of A. sinuata. If it can be
     verified that Quilted Dreams/Hawaii came from the Philippines, this
     would pretty much corroborate the original claim that A. sinuata came
     from the Philippines too - which would tie up a loose end.

     Hope someone can help....

     Alistair Hay