Atropurple Pinellias

Pinelliophiles,

A few months ago there was some discussion on the list about
purple-spathed pinellias. At that time I was close to having one
flowering. I got the plant from Tony Avent and upon flowering definitely
proved to be a P. tripartita. So there is definitely a purple form
there.

Recently I flowered a small Pinellia that I got from Shing Lam many
years ago, which he had bought in China. This creep didn't want to
flower when in a pot although it was lovingly taken care of. This year,
a small bulblet escaped on to the table and trhived like none of its
parents and flowered. Behold, a beautiful purple form of P. ternata. The
leaves are deeply three-cleft to three-sect and produce bulbils in the
lower half of the petiole, as a proper P. ternata should.

Peter Boyce tells me he does not know of any description of P. ternata
including atropurple forms. So be it, but it is alive! I suppose I have
to multiply this for you guys, huh?

Cheers,
Wilbert