"The Continuing Saga of Alice the Reticent Amorphophallus" 9/5/99

  • To: lindsey@mallorn.com
  • Subject: "The Continuing Saga of Alice the Reticent Amorphophallus" 9/5/99
  • From: "Craig M. Allen" <cm_allen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 09:59:25 -0500 (CDT)

Titan watch: Still not open
Amorphophallus titanum 931146A
.7 A.M. As of this morning the Titan didn't open again. I got here at 7 AM,
and through the window I saw no visible change. It hasn't changed since midday
yesterday.

.7 P.M. Going home, no change...
We have played every kind of music but RAP, tried to bribe it, threatened it,
and it still hasn't opened. Many visitor that stayed for a number of hours
think that it opened a little, but I think that's mass hysteria. Photos from
early and late can't be distinguished from each other. If you stare at anything
long enough you start to see the things you expect.

.I'll rest easier tonight, a Garden Member visiting late yesterday evening
offered to set up video cameras to record the opening. This morning he came in
with  his own camera. It is now set up with my TV, Anne's VCR, Suzanne's film
camera, 1 video camera from the Garden, and 1 video camera from our techno savy
visitor. The low resolution camera is set to record for up to 10 hours, and
will be left on at night. We will use the higher resolution to shoot during the
actual opening if we are here. It can only record for 2 hours. At last I will
be home before dark tonight.

"The Continuing Saga of Alice the Reticent Amorphophallus"

.maybe tomorrow...

===
Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager 'Windows to the Tropics'
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road, Miami, Florida 33156
Tel. 305-667-1651 ext. 3320   FAX 305-661-8953
email: cm_allen@yahoo.com
Web site: http://www.ftg.org