Titan Watch 9/6/99 - still shy, but there is progress.

Titan watch: Not open but progress
Amorphophallus titanum 931146A
Our shy "flower" did not open again today, but there was some change in the
spathe today. The tissue between the veins is expanding, though it only opened
the spathe a few more inches. Small though it was this was encouraging. Again
we are hoping tomorrow will be THE DAY.

A reporter and photographer came in from Channel 6 today. They taped a segment
and a number of spots. The reporter was 4 months pregnant and worried about
odor she had been told to expect. Everything makes her nauseous. When she got
here she was relieved that she had been spared. She did one funny spot about
the Wintergreen Oil that someone from the Dade County Coroners office sent over
last year.

We did add a vaporizer to the display this morning to add humid warmth around
our shy beauty. I'll be setting the video camera up again tonight and heading
home if I don't see further progress before 7 PM.

===
Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager 'Windows to the Tropics'
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road, Miami, Florida 33156
Tel. 305-667-1651 ext. 3320   FAX 305-661-8953
email: cm_allen@yahoo.com
Web site: http://www.ftg.org