The Rise and Fall of Alice the Amorphophallus

Titan watch: The Rise and Fall of Alice the Amorphophallus
Amorphophallus titanum 931146A

Beginning the final chapter of
The Continuing Saga of Alice the Amorphophallus

News flash!  Headline!
"Alice the Amorphophallus donates body to Science"

That's the title of todays press release to the media. Have I missed a cliche?
This morning the aging Amorphophyllus titanum has taken a turn for the worse.
While still a very attractive specimen, the spathe that we have been hoping was
going to finish opening, has taken on a slightly desiccated look. Now there is
no expectation that she will go on. We have decided that to get the most usable
vouchered herbarium specimen we would harvest the inflorescence before it
deteriorates.

Tomorrow, September 9, 1999 at 11 A.M. Fairchild's scientists will be in our
auditorium to collect the plant material they need. Immediately following we
will have the drawing and announce the winner of the young Amorphophallus
titanum plant.

We will be moving the tuber back to it's home in the Windows to the Tropics
Conservatory. After discussions with other horticulturists, I feel that the
move to a dryer indoor climate contributed to setback the bloom.

Stay tuned for the final story...

===
Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager 'Windows to the Tropics'
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road, Miami, Florida 33156
Tel. 305-667-1651 ext. 3320   FAX 305-661-8953
email: cm_allen@yahoo.com
Web site: http://www.ftg.org