RE: Anthurium hybrids

Robert:

Thank you for your response. I suspected that my Anthurium  x 'bullatus' =
was incorrectly labeled (hence the ??) and was, in fact, A. x bullatum. =
Mil gracias for the info.

On the other two: if it is of any assistance, Anthurium Red Beauty is =
supposed to be the offspring of a primary cross and has A. =
papillilaminum as one of the parents. I'm not certain whether it is =
TC-propagated or not, but mine show some variation in color, with one in =
particular keeping the juvenile (blood red) leaf color. The other =
hybrid, A. Hoffmannii also has a Cardiolonchium-group parent - very =
dark-colored velvet leaf with contrasting veins. Mine looks very =
different from a series Dewey Fisk showed me recently, so I am certain =
that this plant is up from seed, or that the cross has been remade. The =
southern Central American A. hoffmannii looks quite different indeed - I =
am at a loss as to why anyone would use a perfectly valid species name =
for a hybrid.  =20

I share your enthusiasm for species, preferably with locality or source =
data attached. I think it is clear that the horticultural community has =
a long way to go with improving the quality of some of these foliage =
Anthuriums (line breeding, etc.). Nonetheless, I will admit that some of =
these hybrids are handsome devils, too. =20

Regards,

Jay