higher nutrient levels in organic food

No rocket science here, folks. Healthy soil = healthy plants = healthy people =
healthy planet.
do what you can to eat even some organic food (whole & fresh, not processed).
It makes a huge difference to your health and the planet's.
Yes, environmentalism is as easy and fun as eating. Yum yum!

> In a message dated 4/8/00 8:25:31 AM, laurel.hopwood@sierraclub.org writes:
> << Journal of Applied Nutrition
> 1993; 45:35-39.
> Organic foods vs. supermarket foods:  Element levels
> Synopsis:
> Over a 2 yr period, organically and conventionally grown apples, potatoes,
> pears, wheat, and sweet corn were purchased in the western suburbs of
> Chicago and analyzed for mineral content.  Four to 15 samples were taken
> for each food group.  On a per-weight basis, average levels of essential
> minerals were much higher in the organically grown than in the
> conventionally grown food.  The organically grown food averaged 63% higher
> in calcium, 78% higher in chromium, 73% higher in iron, 118% higher in
> magnesium, 178% higher in molybdenum, 91% higher in phosphorus, 125% higher
> in potassium and 60% higher in zinc.  The organically raised food averaged
> 29% lower in mercury than the conventionally raised food.
> Laurel Hopwood
> ----
> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the Ban-GEF list,
> send email to Ban-GEF@lists.txinfinet.com with HELP in the SUBJECT line.
> Search the archives (since '97) at http://www.txinfinet.com/ban-gef/, or go
> to a recent day's digest at http://www.txinfinet.com/ban-gef/00/.  Updated
> weekly.
> ----

John Edward Verin
owner - True Roots
Edible garden education, consulting & design
Grow Biointensive and Permaculture techniques
Philadelphia, PA

Food is power... are you in control of yours?

Agriculture as we know it cannot feed the world's
population much longer. Due to water and wind erosion
caused by current agricultural practices, an estimated
45-90 years of farmable soil are left on the planet.*

- John Jeavons, creator of the Grow Biointensive technique

* Statistic taken from P. Buringh's "Availability of
Agricultural Land for Crop and Livestock Production," 1989,
in D. Pimentel and C.W. Hall (Eds.) Food and Natural Resources,
San Diego, Academic Press.