FW: trying to find a home for our thoughform comm. garden

What an opportunity! Setting up a community gardens can sometimes seem like
an Andy Hardy movie type proposition, i.e, " Let's put on a show!", but in
the real world community gardening is both work and play. You have a great
opportunity, don't blow it. Get informed and get the community behind you.
With a voting constituency behind you it's possible to create wonders in
this country.

Unless, of course, you end up with a real bugger like NYC's Rudi Giuliai who
hates gardens and community gardeners putting them on the same hit list with
squeegie men, people of color and non-yes man legislators . Well, enough of
my  parochial NYC screed.  Here are some source ideas for you to help you
put your informational packets together:

Please check out these websites and their links thoroughly:

American Community Gardening Association:
http://www.communitygarden.org/index.html ;
The Trust for Public Land website: http://www.igc.apc.org/tpl
TheUniversity of Wisconsin Eagle Heights Garden website:
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~ehgarden ;
The archives of this webserv : http://www.community_garden@mallorn.com

I'd contact:
Gwenne Hayes-Stewart, Executive Director
Gateway Greening
P. O. Box 299 St, Louis MO 63166  314-577-9484  FAX 314-577-9435

Her group has commissioned a study from  the University of Missouri at St.
Louis, Public Policy and
Research Centers  quantitatively measuring the effects of community gardens
on local communities. The U of M people  are known as a professional, rather
practical bunch who have done a lot of related work.
It will not be a head in the sky academic journalistic masterpiece but a
MIS tool that staff and volunteers can use for some time. Tell her I sent
you, she'll laugh because I made fun of this effort ( I've evolved, shall we

For NYC Community Gardening/Land Use Issues:

Green Guerillas: http://www.greenguerillas.org

The NYC Community Garden Coalition:  http://www.nycgardens.org

Earth Celebrations:  http://www.earthcelebrations.com

Lower East Side Collective  http://www.panix.com/~jaynedoe ( this website
goes in and out: Tel: no. 212-774-4192)

BANG ( Brooklyn Alliance of Neighborhood Gardens) 771 Unions Street,
Brooklyn NY 11215, (718) 636-4273

Bronx Union of Gardeners ( Bronx Community Gardeners) (718) 410-8110

And last but not least, the website of the community garden that I'm
involved with The Clinton Community Garden in Hell's Kitchen NYC:
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org .

Do your homework on all of the above, there's alot of material for you to
wade through. . A small book called " Avant Gardening: Ecological Struggle
in The City & The World" published by Autonomedia/ PO Box 568, Williamsburg
Station/Brooklyn, NY 11211 http://www.autonomedia.org (718) 963-2603
(about $8.00) has a number of articles of the crunchy granola, marxist, and
highly practical varieties. Worth the read, though.

My two cents having helped create a commuity garden in a high crime area:
The local residents have to want the garden desperately enough to protect
it, work it, bug their elected officials about it, work with people who
don't look or talk like they do to make the garden work. Community gardening
is 50% gardening and 100% political and neighborhood activism. Find the best
writer in your group to crank out your promotional materials. For the TV
cameras get seniors, mothers and children and designate members of each
group to deliver sound bites for the cameras and radio. Stay on point, serve

Good luck, tell me how this is progressing!

Adam Honigman