RE: Seed "Bombs"

Laura:

I'd contact greenguerillas directly: http://www.greenguerillas.org (212)
674-8124. The best historian of the LES gardens, Sarah Ferguson, relates in
the following excerpt ( from her article, " A Brief History of  Grassroots
Greening on the Lower East Side," in  " Avant Gardening: Ecological Struggle
In The City & The World", Brooklyn: Autonomedia 1999) that  LES community
gardening has a more proactive history than  " flower balloons" would
suggest."

"Fed up with government inaction, in 1973 an impassioned artist named Liz
Christy and a band of like-minded acrivists called the Green Guerillas began
taking over abandoned lots on Manhattan's Lower East Side. Armed with
bolt-cutters and pickaxes , they conceived themselves as a strike force to
liberate the crumbling landscape around them....Undaunted, they moved to a
corner of Bowery and Houston where a few months earlier a couple of homeless
men had been found frozen to death in a cardboard box. "You could not have
found a more unlikely place to start a garden," recalls Bill Brunson, an
early Guerilla.  " At the time there were still all these men lined up along
the Bowery drinking wine and panhandling. To put up a garden there - in what
ws probably the ultimate slime spot in the city - that was unheard of."
...." They also lobbed 'Seed Green-Aids' - balloons or Christmas tree
ornaments filled with peat moss, fertilizer and wild flower seeds into
fenced-off lots and along highways and street medians in the five boroughs.
"It was a form of civil disobediance," recalls Amos Taylor, another early
GG member. " We were basically saying to the government, if you won't do it,
we will."

Community gardening is 50% gardening and 100% politcal, as I'm fond of
saying. It means bolt cutters, pickaxes and the political will to make a
garden happen and then to sustain it.

" Avant Gardening"  is available from Autonomedia :
http://www.autonomedia.org ; fax/phone ( 718) 963-2603.

Everbest,

Adam Honigman