Fw: FW: NPR Science Friday

Has anyone else seen Biotech's TV commercial?  It's very nicely done and
does what a commercial should do, 'invoke positive feelings -- albeit, via a
fog of euphoria -- to make the viewer feel good about the product'.  Of
course, the negative or downside is never portrayed.  This would defeat
their purpose.  Hence, the campaign of "buyer beware" falls into the
hands/laps of educational groups to inform the public of both sides of the
story.

Sadly, a church family member is a biology teacher with a double masters
degree and has not fully researched the downside of GE.  He believes in the
ideals of GE without, seemingly, fully appreciating the consequences -- both
short & long term.  Therefore, my task of delicately balancing educating
without insulting his intelligence proves to be quite the challenge.  Just
as the Youth Director out east who apparently is unaware of how much more
life exist in a cubic foot of fertile soil than in an entire rainforest.
Many GE experiments have sterilized the soil content which gravely effects
the micronutrient availability to the plant roots and some to the point of
prohibiting anything else but one species of plant to grow.  Obviously, this
effects the subsequent lineage in the food chain.

With organic gardening there are no regrets.  I pray we ALL learn this
before we reach the point of no return!

Peace be with you all,
Cyndy Ross, Chairperson
Fellowship, SLLC Organic Community Gardening, Memorial Gardening, and
'Welcoming Wagon' committees
Sylvan Lake Lutheran Church
2399 Figa Avenue
W. Bloomfield, MI 48324-1808