Do Community Gardens Build Community?

Hello Community Gardeners,
I am doing a research paper for a class on Sustainable Communities.  The
research question I have posed is a big one - do community gardens build
community, and if so, are there certain elements or aspects of a CG that
help to foster this community.  I have been doing interviews of
gardeners here in Maine and all is going well.  But I have a question of
the larger CG community out there - do any of you have stories you could
share about instances where members of a community garden have gotten
together to work on a different issue in their neighborhood based on
their relationships established through the community garden.  (i.e.
community gardening members organizing together to work on issues like
crime, a political event, a school issue, a landlord issue)
I would appreciate any stories you might have.

Keisha Payson