RE: Do Community Gardens Build Community?

Keisha:

Communities build community gardens, nor vice versa. Gardens in and of
themselves are only as activist as their members. Some gardeners become
politicized when they experience hard times but the general run of
post-boomer gardeners do their communing with nature, compost and leave it
at that. NYC community gardeners are sometimes a focus of organizing when
threatened, but in general ( except on the Lower East Side,("LES") are
un-political which is kinda dumb, considering the mayor we have.
Please read our archives at http://www.community_garden@mallorn.com, click
on "mailing lists" then "community garden". There is a wealth of material
there for you to reference. My stuff in the archives includes many
hyperlinked websites that should be helpful to you.

God luck,

Adam