Re: building community

Sally - I agree with you!  At first, people think they're only building
a community garden and then find that they're building something else
all together. My experience has been that being part of a communtiy
garden means that I'm outside on that lot at wacky times of the day,
meeting all kinds of people that I might not have known otherwise. Which
leads to relationships and sharing of common concerns and all kinds of
other stuff. Which  - for me - lead to new information about my
neighborhood, new connections with elected officials - who were also
part of the community garden - and new interest in the protection of the
land some 15 blocks away from my house, which, in the city -- can be
light years away.  I've seen garden groups turn into block units,
political groups, babysitting groups and friendships.  Gardening is the
number one sneakiest way to build community that I've ever seen.

Kathy