project on campus comunity garden

	Hello all,

	I've been enjoying your wonderful discussions and information
for a little while, but now its time for me introduce myself and
see what kind of information y'all might have for my current situation...

My name is Leah, I am a student at Western Washington University and I am
very active in sustainable agriculture and communities, specifically of
course, urban community gardens.  On the campus grounds we have a five
acre organic farm and community garden site (as well as a designated
wetland running through it).  While the gardens have been there for over
20 years they have received minimal support at the most and have a
constant threat of development hanging over them.  The only reason for
their continued existance is the protection of Fairhaven college (an
interdisplenary college within the University known for its resistance and
activism) and individual student's passion and dedication.
	The questions I have revolve around this farm (the Outback farm),
and a project that five other students and I are undertaking to establish
a long term plan for its protection and improvement, that will be
presented to the Master Planning Committee in the hopes of establishing an
site that the University will not want to pave over for parking lots and
dorms (the current plan) because of its clear value to student education.
	My role in this process is researching and studying campus
politics, policies, and bureaucracies.  Strengthening and improving the
current community garden site to include more active participation, and
designing campus, highschool, elementary and summer camp curriculums to
provide a strong educational focus. (other aspects of the project includes
an over all permaculture design,including ecobuilding and alternative
energy sources, biodynamic and biointensive experimental sites, and
wetland and native plant restoration)

	I know this is huge and we definitely have our work cut out for
us, but all of us are graduating soon and we have spent many beautiful
years working in the Outback farm and we want to try for some sort of
permanance and reconition for the site so that other students can enjoy it
for years to come....

			Any information, suggestions, support, etc would
be gratefully welcomed!     Thanx!

			Leah Adang-Fry