Conference

Jim--

Here's the Philadelphia perspective:  Philly has close to 1000 community
gardens, varying in size from 200 sq ft to 11 acres. About 95% of them were
generated by the community, most around issues of reclaiming an eyesore
lot; about 25% grow vegetables, especially the larger ones. Most have
between 3 and 10 people directly involved in maintenance, and work on a
very informal basis with no bylaws, no committees, and no permanency. All
are self-governed,  but those belonging to the Neighborhood Gardens
Association Land Trust (24) have to sign on to a maintenance by-laws
agreement every third year. A few are operated by Community Development
Corporations or other non-profits.

Startup cost for an "official" garden (started with help from an outside
agency, and including a fence and imported soil or compost) is between $1-2
per square foot.  Independent gardens generally cost about $50 and a lot of
sweat equity. The $ is for plants and seeds, and maybe a new shovel.

Major challenges-- Keeping people together as a group, making groups
self-sustaining if they were started by an outside agency, keeping
non-gardening neighbors happy, maintenance. Vandalism, although devastating
when it happens, is not a big issue. In most neighborhoods, improved
property values isn't an issue either. Global challenge--getting the City
to recognise CG as a viable form of development, rather than an" interim
use of the land. " Losing a garden to development tends to rip your guts
out no matter wher you live.

Benefits are the same as everywhere, too numerous to list all of them here.
You seem to have hit the big ones

>       -----Original Message-----From: Jim.Call
>[mailto:Jim.Call@dynetics.com] Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 1:53  PMTo:
>laura@foodshare.net; smccabe@pennhort.org;
>Adam.Honigman@Bowne.comSubject: ConferenceLaura,  Sally, and Adam,

Starting Wednesday,  I will be attending a conference  called "Small
Nonprofit Conference on Leadership and Administrative  Issues" in
Shreveport, LA.  I have been asked to serve on a  "panel of experts" to
discuss issues concerning "community  gardening" as they related to
Non-Profit organizations.  My presence  in this conference relates to the
success we have experienced with the CASA  Community Garden here in
Huntsville, AL.
>As the Volunteer Garden Director, I know the "ins and outs" of  operating
>a garden of this type (all volunteer, harvest given to the  elderly).   I
>feel that I am an expert in this type of  "community" garden format.

 The other type of "community  garden" as most of you relate to concerns
another format, one which  individuals or families "rent" plots.  These
typically having  planting and maintenance agreements which govern garden
actiivities.  Most  have a "board" of some type to oversee the operation.
Sometimes, there is a focus on "beautifying" an abandoned lot to  enhance
the surrounding area.