community gardens as they relate to Non-Profit organizations

From: Jim.Call  [mailto:Jim.Call@dynetics.com]

       -----Original Message----- Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 1:53  PMTo:
laura@foodshare.net; smccabe@pennhort.org;  Adam.Honigman@Bowne.comSubject:
ConferenceLaura,  Sally, and Adam, Starting Wednesday,

I will be attending a conference  called "Small Nonprofit Conference on
Leadership and Administrative  Issues" in Shreveport, LA.  I have been
asked to serve on a  "panel of experts" to discuss issues concerning
"community  gardening" as they related to Non-Profit organizations.  My
presence  in this conference relates to the success we have experienced
with the CASA  Community Garden here in Huntsville, AL.

As the Volunteer Garden Director, I know the "ins and outs" of  operating a
garden of this type (all volunteer, harvest given to the  elderly).   I
feel that I am an expert in this type of  "community" garden format.  The
other type of "community  garden" as most of you relate to concerns another
format, one which  individuals or families "rent" plots.  These typically
having  planting and maintenance agreements which govern garden
actiivities.  Most  have a "board" of some type to oversee the operation.
Sometimes, there is a focus on "beautifying" an abandoned lot to  enhance
the surrounding area.
What I am requesting from you is a summarization of the following
concerning  the average community garden operated by a Non-Profit
-Site Permanency
-The Political Arena (Ok Adam,  here is your area of expertise)
-On going maintenance
 Please feel free to add to the above list.

-Community  Bonding
-breakdown of various barriers (racial, economic, etc)
-Harvest to help supplement food  needs
-Higher Property values
-Promotes high sense of  accomplishment
Please feel free to add to the above list as well.

I have "cruised" the net researching these various aspects of  community
gardening, but I wanted to hear from you folks.

So, please take a few minutes out and give me your thoughts on these topics
so I can relay them in this conference.  Hopefully, we can shake a few
heads and make a difference in our communities going forward.   Your
contributions to this effort are greatly appreciated.
                                        Best regards,  Jim