big wig money

Ariel,
We received our roto-tiller by asking to borrow one from a Home Depot, they
said ok.  Later when we tried to return it they said keep it.  At least on
the H.D. site there is a grant application, maybe on some of the others.
Try asking for the store manager, tell him your plight and what you need.
Most of the local garden centers are glad to pitch in, ask for a flat of
tomatoes here, a flat of herbs there.
Try asking for non-saleable items, ones that will be thrown away.  A spade
with a broken handle can be repaired, an ugly flat of veggies can be
revived.
Good luck on your garden!
John Herndon
Community Garden Coodinator