RE: drought

Lucy:
Here in Washington State, it can get rather dry during late summer.  I
aggressively use mulch for our raised beds.  Not only does it reduce the
need for water by about 2/3, it also keeps down the weeds.

Everyone has a favorite mulch, but for me, I use straw bales as I have easy,
no-cost access to them.  However, during the winter, I use pine needles for
those acid-loving shrubs such as rhodedendrons, azaleas and some of my
roses.

I've heard of using newspapers which also make the soil acid and admit have
used them when first starting alfalfa sprouts so I don't overwater the
seeds.

If you haven't contacted your local county cooperative extension agent, I
strongly recommend doing so immediately.  Better yet, get them on your
board.  Our local office supplies not only a wealth of information (mostly
free), but also has the master gardener program and is in touch with
virtually all the gardening clubs as well as 4-H (good source of volunteer
labor with their own supervisors and insurance).

Good luck!
Connie Nelson, Program Manager / Branch Supervisor
Second Harvest Food Bank of the Inland NW
1234 E Front Ave
Spokane, WA
Phone:  (509) 534-6678, ext. 203