Re: Mycorrhizal products

Jon Rowley wrote:

>My information on mycorrhizal fungi  corresponds to Lisas.
>Mychorrhizals do extend the root systems of plants especially in
>poor soil but, since they are ubiquitous, would not need to be
>purchased.  I wouldn't think compost would be a good source of
>mychorrhizal fungi.

Hello Jon

Much of the original work on mycorrhiza was done by Rayner. You can
find one of her books online here - nice book, written for laymen:

"Trees and Toadstools" by M.C. Rayner, D.Sc., Faber and Faber, 1945.
Dr Rayner can be credited with putting the mycorrhizal association on
the agricultural map. Mycorrhizas are fungus-roots, a symbiotic
relationship between plant roots and friendly soil fungi without
which most plants cannot thrive, while many cannot even survive
without their fungal partners. The fungus actually feeds the plant,
and in return the plant feeds the fungus the products of the green
leaf which the fungus is unable to make for itself. Enhanced by good
humus maintenance and often damaged by chemical fertilizers and
pesticides, the mycorrhizal association is fundamental to why organic
growing works.
Introduction
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/rayner/rayner_intro.html
Table of Contents
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/rayner/rayner_toc.html

Albert Howard, founder of the organic farming movement, working in
India, worked closely with Rayner, seeking an explanation for why
applications of his Indore compost often gave stunning results that
could not be explained by the nutrient content of the compost. That
the compost applications triggered mycorrhizal action was the answer.
Indore compost is hot composting, by the way.

Best

Keith Addison