Re: slugs and snails and...

  • Subject: [cg] Re: slugs and snails and...
  • From: "lisa vandyke" <vandykelisa@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 23:08:33 -0500

Hi there,
just had to respond to the note from Steve in Juno. He wrote:
>I pay close attention to these small plants and at the first sign of slug
>damage - I spray them. Both pyrethrum/rotenone and insecticidal soap seem
>to be effective.
Rotenone, though considered 'organic' is one of the MOST toxic pesticides!
Very dangerous to mammals and fish (though not too bees), it can cause very
high acute and chronic toxicity with damage to the liver and kidneys. Please
be very very careful! Pyrethrin is a nerve toxin and may be extremely toxic
to infants and newborns, and highly toxic to aquatic life and beneficials.
Don't mean to sound preachy, but if it has rapid knock down, it's bound to
be dangerous. Also, although something is technically considered organic, it
does not mean that it is safe.
Lisa in Mpls