Re: plant sales

  • Subject: [cg] Re: plant sales
  • From: "lisa vandyke" <vandykelisa@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:19:54 -0500

Hi there,
At various times folks have discussed fund-raising events, and about a year
ago I mentioned the incredible plant sale held by the Friends School of
Minnesota. This is a three day event held at the school in early may. I
believe this is one of their primary money makers, with some of the students
propagating a few of the plants. It is eagerly awaited by anyone who's been
there before, and the catalog has just come out. The catalog is
newsprint,11x17 doubled, 32 pages, with a bit of color. The plants cover
annuals, perennials, herbs, fruit, trees, shrubs, rock gardens, water,
natives, grasses, you name it. Would put many nurseries to shame. They buy
as much as possible from organic nurseries, but also search for extremely
unusual plant material. I wish that I could display an example of this
thing, but perhaps you can get the idea. Most of the success comes from the
gradual word-of-mouth buildup, and of course from a few very visionary
plant fanatics. With all the other plant sales being held at the same time,
I think that this one shines through volume, variety and detail. I don't
know how many years they have been holding it, but it certainly took several
years to build to this level.
Best, Lisa in Mpls
P.S. to Steve - Personally, I have no problem with informed choices
regarding how we protect our food as it grows. My concern is with the
informed part. We humans often take the easy route, and that includes using
pesticides without reading the label fully. I've read more than once that
the home gardener applies more chemicals than farmers in the US, and I'm not
surprised. So my comments were not intended to criticize, but to remind all
of us what these compounds can do unintentionally. One of the reasons that I
am so hooked on Community Gardening is the community part - we share
information, and through all the voices heard a piece of wisdom leaks out.