RE: NYC ACGA Garden Tours

  • Subject: RE: [cg] NYC ACGA Garden Tours
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:12:19 -0400

What I did write,  in the midst of a discussion about something else
was,"Due to a puzzling decision by the ACGA's NYC organizing committee, the
Clinton Community Garden has not been included on the itinerary of the NYC
ACGA conventions garden tours during the upcoming convention in July."

"Puzzling" is also a word I use to explain my parsing of VCR instructions -
a statement of confusion.

As a member of more volunteer and professional committees than I would like,
I too am frequently part of  decisions that folks find "puzzling." People
trust me to have good intentions -  I do not doubt the good intentions of
the NYC ACGA Organizing Committee. This was their best decision.  Period.

What a firestorm a simple statement of puzzlement can start! I'm really
sorry about that... We want you guys to come to New York and have a great

Good friend Lenny Librizzi, a former ACGA board member,  is a marvelous
gardener, brilliant computer garden map maker and one of the heroes of
community gardening and greening in NYC and this country. He did, however,
choose the wrong word to characterize the discussion...

Nobody is perfect...
I've just come back from PS 3 - a school on Houston Street in Greewich
Village where I coach reading a couple of lunch hours a week. The weather (
in the nineties - in April!) has coaxed the   1840's circa roses bush in the
St Luke's in the Fields church garden to bud and the tulips, daffodils and
crocuses (that Lenny Librizzi planted last fall with high school students in
honor of Greenwich Village based firemen who died on 9/11) to bloom
gloriously in their tree pits on Clarkson street.

The vast variety of NYC's 750 casitas, preserved and  endangered gardens,
newly saved gardens via the deus ex-machina of Land Trusts, rare beneficial
actions of NYC's government,  or entertainment artist's largess - must be
seen to believed. Many are achingly beautiful - their flowers, plantings and
dedicated volunteers need to be visited,  if only, alas, to bear witness.
Many of our endangered gardens, like the famous, mysterious and beautiful
Adam Purple Garden ( no relation ;)) will become history  if we do not get
our collective NYC community garden  acts together to create the political
consensus to pass a viable NYC council community garden bill.

However, that is local politics - and we want you to have a great time.

Not to worry...

The Clinton Community Garden isn't going anywhere. You see me ( short, fat,
bearded and balding - talking too loud)  or anyone else wearing the
"Gardener from Hell's Kitchen" t-shirt, we'll arrange to show you around, if
you like. We're open from dawn to dusk, 365 days a year. You see anyone
inside, just holler - we'll let you in.

And, we'll be doing a dance concert during the convention that ACGA members
folks can attend after session 3 on Friday, July 26th:

Here's the press release from our Website:

July 26, Friday, 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. - Dancing in the Streets presents
"Offering", a work created for parks and gardens by Eiko and Koma -
Japanese-born choreographers/dancers. They have received international
acclaim, including the MacArthur ("genius") Award for their exquisite and
profound work. With Offering the artists hope to offer audiences the solace
that they receive from nature's eternal rhythms, in which movement and
stillness, life and death are but a breath apart, and to bring "a glimpse of
the breathing universe into this wounded urban landscape." Clinton Community
Garden is honored that they have chosen us to be included in the midtown
"tour" of this small gem of a work. In addition to CCG Offering will be
presented at Bryant Park, Tudor City Green and Dag Hammarskjold Plaza.

Incidentally, if you take the Broadway 7th ave IRT local from the Columbia
University 116th Street and Broadway station to 50th & Broadway and walk the
few blocks to 48th between 9th & 10th avenues, it shouldn't take more than
half an hour to 45 minutes, even at 6:00 p.m. on a Friday. evening. The
garden gate will be open....

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman