The Cream of the Crops Project

  • Subject: [cg] The Cream of the Crops Project
  • From: Laura Berman <laura@foodshare.net>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 20:19:26 -0400

Hi Everyone,
I'm passing along a letter from Mother Earth News (I am NOT the originator).
The are asking community gardeners to help them with 3 interesting
projects--especially the Cream of the Crops Project --as outlined below.

Laura

-------------------

Dear Community Gardeners.

For three decades, Mother Earth News has been North America¹s ³original
guide to living wisely.²  You  can access the Mother Earth News web site at
<http://www.motherearthnews.com>. The magazine has recently relocated to
Topeka, Kansas, where a new editorial team is bringing fresh talent and
enthusiasm to each issue.  We would like your help with the projects
outlined on the enclosed flyer.

Mother Earth News includes stories by leaders in sustainable and organic
agriculture such as Maine market grower Eliot Coleman, ag economist John
Ikerd, former Rodale New Farm editor George DeVault and others.
Nutritionist and sustainable food advocate Joan Gussow is a regular
columnist, promoting local, seasonal eating in her column ³Home Food.²

In addition to food and agriculture issues, Mother Earth News includes
practical articles on organic gardening, renewable energy, homebuilding
how-to, homestead birds and beasts and all the other facets of a
sustainable, organic life.  We hope you enjoy the website and will consider
subscribing to the magazine.

If you publish a newsletter, would you please relay the following flyer to
the editor?  The flyer invites contributions to four Mother Earth News
projects:

1.  Nominations of outstanding vegetable varieties for a series of articles
we are preparing, called ³The Cream of the Crops.²
2.   Profiles of outstanding green communities across the country.
3.  ³Firsthand Reports from the Field,²  from individuals who are building
more sustainable, self-reliant lives.
Our online calendar of sustainable-living events, including farming, energy,
homebuilding and related topics.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Cheryl Long
Editor in Chief
<clong@motherearthnews.com>

Attention Newsletter Editor
Please publish and/or post
We would appreciate your help in announcing the following projects.  If you
have any questions, please contact Cheryl Long, editor in chief, Mother
Earth News, <clong@motherearthnews.com>, (785) 274-4319.

The Cream of the Crops Project
Mother Earth News invites gardeners to nominate their favorite best-tasting
vegetable and fruit varieties for a series of articles the magazine will
publish in 2003.  The goal of the ³Cream of the Crops² series is to help
gardeners find the best-tasting varieties, countering the seed industry¹s
current emphasis on breeding varieties primarily for commercial qualities
such as longer shelf life and shipping qualities.  For details on how to
nominate a variety, contact the series editor, Brook Elliott, at
<BrookBarb@aol.com> or Box 519, Richmond, KY 40476.  (If you have room to
publish the nomination information, please ask Brook to forward it to you.)

Greener Pastures:
Finding Homestead Hotspots, Viable Villages and Superb ŒBurbs
This new department in Mother Earth News profiles rural and urban locations
where the green/sustainable/organic mindset is thriving.  The days are gone
when homestead hotspots were rural areas with cheap land and lax zoning and
building codes.  Today we need to help people find both rural and urban
locations where sustainable thinking already has a foothold; where
likeminded folks are supporting each other in creating vibrant, sustainable
communities, places where people are living wisely.  Please send your
nominations to: Greener Pastures; Mother Earth News, 1503 SW 42nd St.;
Topeka, KS 66609.

Firsthand:  Reports from the Field
This Mother Earth News department invites reports from folks who are living
lightly and wisely on the Earth, both in the country and in the city.  We
are looking for alternative homebuilding adventures, the joys (or woes) of
solar- or wind-energy systems, tales of self-reliance and security. What
have you learned that you want to share with our readers?  Reports should be
about 1,000 words long; we will pay $100 for those that we publish.  Send
submissions to: Reports from the Field, Mother Earth News, 1503 SW 42nd St.;
Topeka, KS 66609.

Calendar of Events
To post conferences and events on the Mother Earth News Online Calendar of
Events, send an email to <Letters@motherearthnews.com> and request the event
registration form.