Spring Work Day -- what we did!

Hi, Folks!

Here's my official Thank You Letter I'll be sending out for the Spring Work
Day which we held this last Saturday.  We had *80* people -- a record for a
work day for us!

Needless to say, I"m *exhausted*!  But the garden looks *great* (especially
with the inch of rain we got yesterday! :-D) so it's definitely been worth it.

Come see the garden soon -- it looks *great*! :-D

Dorene

Dear "National Volunteer Week" Participant:

Thanks to your help, St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community
Garden's 2002 Spring Work Day celebrating "National Volunteer Week" on
April 27th was a tremendous success!  We had 80 people, ranging in age from
under 1 year to 74 years old and got LOTS and LOTS of work done!

First, let's have a hand for our sponsors whose generous donations provided
the wherewithal so that we could actually have the event!

Philadelphia Green/Pennsylvania Horticultural Society Workshop Grant
TD Alfredo's Pizzeria, Phoenixville:  10 large pizzas
Papa John's Pizza, Phoenixville:  10  large pizzas
Kimberton Whole Foods:  Certified Organic Sodas
Exterior Structures, Unlimited, Phoenixville:  loan of wheelbarrows and tools
David Simon the Plowman:  Two English Walnut trees, yellow raspberry
plants, catnip, and a honeysuckle bush
Scott Hamrick:  250 strawberry plants

Next, let's have an even bigger hand for those groups who labored most of
the day and actually seemed to enjoy it!

Mitchell (community garden) Program of St. Gabriel's Hall
Chester County Juvenile Probation Community Service Project
Plymouth-Whitemarch High School Community Service Group
Perkiomen Valley High School Community Service Group
Perkie Ford Juniorettes
Phoenixville Girl Scout Cadet Troop

We accomplished an AMAZING amount of work in just 4 hours.  The perennial
areas are weeded, the garden paths are mulched and we've added berries and
nut trees to our mix of plants to feed the hungry in Phoenixville The
garden looks fantastic -- do stop by and take a look when you're on the
North Side of Phoenixville.

Thanks to your hard work and donations, we were able to open the garden for
another growing season so that we can grow more produce for the food bank
at Phoenixville Area Community Services.  On behalf of the gardeners at St.
John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden, I thank you for
your support, good wishes and donations of materials and time so that
together, we can see that the hungry in Phoenixville are well-fed.

Sincerely,

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of