Re: Diabetes & cging

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Diabetes & cging
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 19:09:08 EST

1) I never heard of a garden program for diabetics - I have noticed that our
diabetic gardeners are more careful about their feet than most -  they never
go barefoot in the garden.  Never really noticed otherwise,  except during
garden potlucks when I occasiaonally hear, "Sorry, can't eat that. I'm a
diabetic." I do know that most are really into growing vegetables and having
a varied diet - a heightened health consciousness.  It's the same care that I
note with HIV positive gardeners ( who also are a little more careful with
garden tools and sometimes wear garden or latex gloves when dealing with soil
or manures - maybe the immunosupression? )  Most seem to treat their diabetes
as another affliction, like lower back pain.

An interesting quote from a University of Minnesota piece on their master
gardener's program:

"In addition to the stress relief, Master Gardener training can have an
effect on the health of both the participant and the people he or she
teaches. A diabetic who took the Master Gardener class improved his diabetes
by growing and eating fresh vegetables. He became an example in his community
and teaches others about the benefits of fresh vegetables."

2) A New Mexico gardening television show, "Southwest Yard and Garden, " with
a segment on "Growing a garden beneficial to a diabetic diet, with Karen

You can order this episode *03/24/01) through this link:

3) An article on gardening from an e-zine called "Diabetic Lifestyle":

You might have already known about stevia, a low calorie sweetener you can
grow in your garden, that is OK for diabetics to use:

<< ubj:  [cg] Diabetes & cging