I am sending you this as others can benefit from it too.

  • Subject: [cg] I am sending you this as others can benefit from it too.
  • From: Hans H Harmsen plenneke@xtra.co.nz
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 08:29:36 +1200

I  sent this advise to Jan Puskarich today :

She wrote :
week ago I released hundreds of Lacewing eggs and a thousand parasitic wasp eggs. At the time I had no aphids. I am now experiencing the appearance of some on my roses.
I am hesitate to spray with anything due to the beneficial insect eggs I released. What should I do?

My suggestion :
What I am suggesting NOW, is NOT an insect killer, but an Insect repellant.
It is perfectly safe for use on any plants, as it is a nartural product.
And so long as those eggs are not hatched, it would not repel the lacewings.
But the aphids may just leave the sprayed plants, and go elsewhere, where those
wasps and lacewings can get at them.

The product I am suggesting you use is :
WORMPISS, the proper pronounciation Wormcast Leachate.
You can make this up by getting some wormcastings,
say a couple of pounds of it and mixing it with water from the tap.
Put it in a bowl, and stirr it well.
Then drain off the dark brown liquid (The wormpiss).
Make up a mixture of 1 in 50 and spray it over the leaves and stems of your aphids
infected plants. ***
Just observe what happens, and report it back to me by e-mail.
I would be interested to know if it worked for you.

One of our wormfarmers in the north of New Zealand is using this method
when he has an attack of small white flies on his tomatoes, and they are
leaving his plants in a hurry.
I have used it on my cabbage plants, and it will make those white butteflies
think twice before descending to lay their eggs.
Unfortunately I have no videop camera, otherwise I would have been able
to show you the actual operation.

There is one problem I discovered :
You must keep spraying the mixture, to keep those butterflies off.
I stood over the plants, and let them have it every twenty minutes or so.
But it kept the butterfies in the air.

I live in New Zealand, so it would be prohibitive, to try and send you a bottle of
the concentrated leachate.  The postal charges kill that nicely.
I have plenty of it, but NO MARKET. Same as the wormcastings,
nobody here locally knows the product or how to use it..

*** do not throw away the wormcastings left in the bowl, use it to fertilise
your house plants, a teaspoon a week is fine, they will thrive.

Good luck.
PS I have thrown fresh concentrated leachate under my raspberries without burning them !!
PSS have a look at my website, all about worms and how to cultivate them.

Yours Sincerely :
Hanshendrik Harmsen.

Websites :