Help Save Bugs: A message from Dwayne Hodgson

  • Subject: [cg] Help Save Bugs: A message from Dwayne Hodgson
  • From: "Anna Wasescha" ariel@tc.umn.edu
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 23:01:04 -0500

Title: Message

Community Garden Friends - Sorry about that blank message from me.  It's late and I pushed the wrong button.  I'm posting this message from on behalf of the Bytowne Urban Gardens.  -Anna Wasescha, ACGA List Manager

Dear Friends:

Since 1997, Bytowne Urban Gardens (BUGs) has been running a thriving community gardening program in the downtown core of Ottawa, Ontario. The program exemplifies the best aspects of the community gardening movement and brings together local citizens of all income groups and abilities to care for their neighbourhood, learn to grow food organically, reduce waste through composting, increase their food security and empower themselves through collective action. (Please see http://bugs.freehosting.net/bugsweb for the garden web site).

Throughout this time, BUGs has appreciated the cooperation of many community partners, including the City of Ottawa who has rented us the land for $1 a year and provided other types of in-kind and occasional financial support. In 1998, the City recognized the efforts of the gardeners by awarding it the City of Ottawa's Environmental Achievement Award.

Now, however, the City has informed the garden that they require the land to build an Emergency Medical Services (ambulance) station and potentially two apartment buildings. The City's Planning Department has initiated a process to change the zoning of the land to permit this development, but so far they have not been willing to discuss how to continue its cooperation with the BUGs garden. As such, we may be unable to plant this season and our future as a garden is in doubt. To date, the City has not suggested an alternative location for the garden, nor how they might help us in moving there.

The BUGs members are residents of the community, and thus, we do not oppose having an EMS station or apartments in our neighbourhood; however, we feel that there should be a way to find a "win-win" solution that meets the needs of the City government, and the many groups and individuals who benefit from the garden's presence in our community.

Thus, we are mobilizing our members, the wider community, and the media to Help Save BUGs! with the aim of staying on our present site, or failing that, being assisted to move to another location.

As organizations with an interest in promoting community gardening and urban agriculture, we ask that you would help us with the campaign by:

1. Publicizing our cause through your web pages, list serves and personal contacts. We have a web page, www.helpsavebugs.homestead.com where people can learn more about the garden, our campaign and how they can help. There is even an online petition that people can sign as well.

2. Advocating on behalf of BUGs by contacting the City of Ottawa. We'd really appreciate it if your agency would be willing to send us a letter of support that we could submit to the City of Ottawa at the next public meeting. As you know, not every government official is aware of the benefits of community gardening (social, environmental, recreational, safety, food security, etc.) and it would greatly help our cause if they could see us as part of the wider movement to promote community gardening. Please send your letters to me at helpsavebugs@yahoo.ca by May 1st, 2003.

3. Advising us on how best to find a solution to our problem. We know that we are not the first community garden to go through this, and there must be many lessons learned on how best to proceed. I would be very grateful to hear your suggestions on how to run this campaign, what types of arguments to use, what precedents there are for preserving community gardens, what other sources of information we can draw on, etc. Please send any advice to this address, helpsavebugs@yahoo.ca

I appreciate you taking the time to hear our request for help, and I look forward to working with you to HELP SAVE BUGs!

Viva BUGs! Viva!

Dwayne Hodgson

Member of the Help Save BUGs Committee

Anna Wasescha