Re: thoughts on nickel and dimed

  • Subject: [cg] Re: thoughts on nickel and dimed
  • From: David Peterson dayvidmp@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:57:01 -0700 (PDT)

Sharon -

I haven't read Nickel and Dimed, though I think Barbara Ehrenreich is an excellent writer. One part of your critique - which I have heard elsewhere, and which sounds plausible - that struck me was the suggestion that people are unwilling to do the little things that make daily life better, like community gardening. In many cases there are real differences in experience and perspective that will affect people's willingness to try something like community gardening. These differences are not necessarily for bad or illogical reasons, the activity in question often just doesn't mesh with people's experience and cultural knowledge...

For example, I am working on building a park in a colonia in the border region of Texas. The county is the poorest in the nation, and the colonia residents are the poorest of the region. In planning the park, some great students in UT-Austin's master planning program thought it would be good to put a community garden in the park - something I was personally really excited about.

Yet people from the colonia weren't into it at all. I was frustrated, but came to understand that there were several reasons for this, which could be dealt with, perhaps, but only through taking them perspectives very seriously and trying to understand them. For one, as compared to New York, the colonia is a rural community, and many people own their own plot of land, so the need to work something out to increase the open space they have available to them is not so great.

Furthermore, many people are migrant farmworkers, and don't necessarily have the great associations that we have with gardening - it is not an escape from a life of toil, it is a reminder of their life of toil.

Also, from my amateurish agricultural understanding, the soil in South Texas doesn't grow a whole lot besides onions.

Finally, the individualization that the American dream so often entails has structured these people's lives, and they are not, despite adverse circumstances, a tight-knit community. Again,  this is partly due to the amount of time many of them spend traveling.

All of this is not to say that there can be no community gardening component, or that because people aren't naturally inclined to garden doesn't mean that these ideas can't be brought up, tried out, modified and made into something workable. I am hoping to include a community citrus grove in the park, which would offer a nice beginning, as well as shade and refreshment in the hot summer days (often 110 degrees or more for over a month straight).

But my assumption that a community garden would help alleviate the conditions of poverty, both physical and spiritual, were made more complex upon learning about the situation, and I am constantly having to modify my goals and my attitudes about the project.

Rather than wondering why people aren't using available resources, I hope to work with them to maximize their resources on their terms - because that's one of the most important things my experience with community gardens has taught me: people having control over their lives and their spaces (gardens, parks, etc.) is beautiful and powerful, regardless of whether it takes the exact form I want or not.

Thanks for listening to my rant,
David Peterson
Austin, TX

Message: 3