ACGA's New Office in Virginia

  • Subject: [cg] ACGA's New Office in Virginia
  • From: "Kirby, Ellen" ellenkirby@bbg.org
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:41:59 -0400

Dear Members and Friends of the American Community Gardening Association
(ACGA),

I am pleased to announce that our new ACGA office is now in place! We
have moved to Virginia. Although the message which follows was sent
earlier I decided to send again in case you missed the announcement.

As many of you know, the ACGA's national office was located, until
recently, within the Pennsylvania Horticulture Society, which generously
provided office space and support services to the ACGA through their
capable staff and volunteers for over 10 years.  The ACGA board was
notified last year that the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, while
supportive of the ends and goals of the ACGA, would not be able to
provide us with continued service due to budget reductions.

The ACGA gratefully acknowledges the fine, day-to-day work done by the
Horticulture Society's Sally McCabe, Janet Carter, Dawn Johns and
volunteers like Dorene Pasekoff which was done while simultaneously
handling their ongoing work.   The ACGA remains in the debt of the
Society and these fine folk who have also served on our board and as
volunteers.  Thank you!

After evaluating our needs and assessing our resources, the Board of
Directors of ACGA decided that a relationship with a small management
company in Virginia provided the best option for our administrative
services.  We have contracted with this company, The Management
Consultants Corporation, and have moved all our records and publications
to Blacksburg, Virginia.

PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW ADDRESS AND PHONE CONTACTS:

American Community Gardening Association
1916 Sussex Road
Blacksburg, Virginia 24060

Phone:  540.552.5550

Fax: 540.961.1463
Email: jthies@managementconsultantscorp.com
Website: www.communitygarden.org

ALL INQUIRIES ABOUT MEMBERSHIP, PUBLICATIONS, ANNUAL CONFERENCE, ETC.
SHOULD BE SENT TO THIS ADDRESS.

The staffing for our new operation is provided by Jason Thies, who is
our Administrative Manager and Kim Thies, Assistant Administrative
Manager.  Working with others from their company, they provide a team to
handle our membership services, website, publications, mailings and
general correspondence, board support, grant writing and of course,
annual ACGA conference support for the local conference committee.  This
will enable the ACGA board to focus more aggressively on program
development, fund raising, membership growth, advocacy and other tasks
crucial to the community gardening movement in this new century.

Please join us in welcoming Jason and Kim to the work of ACGA!  Each
comes with a background in not-for-profit management, including work
with groups such as Garden Writers of America, National Certification
Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodyworks, The Compagna Center and
Good Samaritan Hospice.  From 1998-2001, Kim served on the staff of
Executive Consultants, Inc., the management group for Garden Writers of
America ("GWA") as Director of Meetings and Conventions ('98-'01) and
Director of Membership ('98).  It was GWA Director Bob LaGasse, who
referred Kim and Jason Thies to ACGA.

I want to thank everyone who has helped to bring this decision to a
successful conclusion, especially our board location task force and the
other member of the ACGA board of directors.  Thanks also to the members
of ACGA and partner organizations who expressed concern for us and who
offered many helpful suggestions.

For these trying times, we know that now, more than ever, community
gardens are needed resources for our communities and for our world.  We
look forward to a stronger, growing ACGA for the future!

In addition to our new office and staff, always feel free to contact me
directly with any of your questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Ellen

Ellen Kirby, President
American Community Gardening Association